Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It is the little things.



I remember years ago attending an event for Christian business owners.  One of the things that stood out was that generally speaking when a company overly advertises that they are a Christian company, people tend to be weary of them.  It is almost as if they are trying to sell you on their being a Christian, and thus trust worthy.

That has always stuck in the back of my mind, as a business owner today and a patron.

Today I was sitting in the waiting area of a local shop, getting my oil changed.  I have a tendency, when waiting, to look around rooms and sort of sum up my surroundings.  In which I saw a pretty dingy shop, it's obviously not had a woman as an employee for quite some time.  It was very basic, some signage about services and prices, advertisements for some of their products, etc.   As I looked toward the back corner, something caught my eye.

A small 8x11 simple black frame, similar to the ones you can pick up in any dollar store.  It wasn't located in a prominent area, there was nothing flashy about it.  Inside the frame was a floral paper with the following printed on it....

Love is patient, 
love is kind. 
It does not envy, 
it does not boast, 
it is not proud.  
 It does not dishonor others, 
it is not self-seeking, 
it is not easily angered, 
it keeps no record of wrongs.  
Love does not delight in evil 
but rejoices with the truth. 
 It always protects, 
always trusts, 
always hopes, 
always perseveres.
Love never fails.

This is found in First Corinthians Thirteen

Here in a shop, full of men, well over due for a good cleaning... there were no men's magazines with women half dressed, no fishing and sports magazines... just a few magazines about local happenings and scripture.

It may not be the cleanest shop.

But they were friendly, courteous and respectful.

This bit of scripture was just the icing on the cake.

I will certainly go back.


No comments: