Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Bucket List



When the movie "The Bucket List" came out, something swept the nation.  People were creating "Bucket Lists" of things they would like to accomplish before they "kicked the bucket".  It was during a MOPS meeting we began creating bucket lists.  We were asked to share some of them with each other.

I had nothing.

As others were sharing some of their ideas, I thought.... "That sounds good" or fun, or exciting, or any list of adjectives.  I would put various things down on my list, but they really were not my ideas or wants. I was just trying to fill a list.

After the meeting, I came home and trashed it. I decided to try again.  This time I gave myself guidelines, categories.

List 3 countries you'd like to visit.  List 3 hobbies you'd like to attempt.

I began filling in the blanks.  I also realized I was doing nothing more than trying to complete a form.  It was about completion, accomplishment of making the list.

It sat, unopened on my nightstand for months.

At some point my husband opened it.  He asked me about a few things.

And then I began to think about it, what if my husband was using this list as a spring board for understanding my wants and desires from life?

This is not what I want to do.

I threw it away.

I realized that I don't have a bucket list.  Sure, there are a ton of things that I think would be fun to do and would probably enjoy.  There just isn't anything on my list that is so important to me that I want to make sure I do it before I die.

I don't need to worry and think about the future, I have right now to deal with.  What do I want and need right now?  As long as that is being met, who cares if I ever go over seas again.  Or, learn to drive a race car. 

I want to focus on what God wants me to accomplish.  I want to focus on the people who are here with me, doing whatever... and doing nothing.

I do not need a bucket list.

I have a wonderful life, full of wonderful people, and opportunities that show up every day for me to embrace and enjoy.

Carpe diem.


No comments: